Flaccid or loose skin can be very stressful. This problem is very widespread. Pregnancy, weight loss, hormonal changes, and aging are all common sources of sagging skin. And even though it’s a natural process, many factors can speed up its appearance. That is why it is important to know the causes of this unsightly phenomenon, and know what to do to improve the health of our largest organ.
Why does the skin become flaccid or loosen?
Doctors say there is a genetic predisposition to loosening skin, but that’s not the only reason. Several factors may be responsible for this process. The most common is aging. The muscles underlying the skin weaken with age, causing some skin portions to loosen. Moreover with age, the skin begins to decrease its collagen production, giving it a more tired and falling appearance.
What are the most effective exercises to fight loose skin?
You’ve probably heard about specific workout programs promising to tighten the muscles under the skin. The truth is that it’s impossible. On the other hand, that doesn’t mean you have to give up training. Physical activity is beneficial for general health, and it can actually slow down the appearance of flaccid skin.
Make sure you have a balanced exercise program with cardio and weight training. Flabby arms and legs can be a sign of a lack of muscle tone and tension. In this case, simple bodybuilding exercises can give excellent results. and cardio exercises increase oxygen circulation to the skin, which in turn will improve its elasticity and recovery ability.
There is a great selection of exercises to strengthen your arms, all effective. For example, push-ups can be an excellent option. It doesn’t require any equipment and quickly strengthens the muscles. In addition, there are hundreds of variations of this exercise, for beginners or experienced athletes.
If you are looking for exercises that focus on the lower part of the body, the options are unlimited. Cycling, jogging, climbing are great ways to strengthen your legs and tone their muscles.
Home Remedies Against Loose Skin
Some lifestyle changes can drastically slow down the phenomenon in its early stages.
Here are six easy-to-follow tips that, added to your exercises, can help you strengthen your arms and legs:
Avoid excessive sun exposure and use sunscreen. Free radicals from UV rays can damage the skin, and the fibers in your dermis will need more time to recover.
- Avoid dehydration. Drink enough water.
- If you smoke, stop. Smoking dries out the skin and increases the effect of premature aging.
- Keep a balanced diet that includes fibers and good fats. Vitamins and minerals are also important. Experts also recommend to include in your daily diet foods containing zinc and vitamin C.
- Avoid diets that result in rapid weight loss. Losing your extra pounds too quickly will help loosen up the skin.
- Apply skin care products. Exfoliating the skin regularly helps to get rid of dead cells and improve blood circulation.
- A moisturizing cream may help to prevent fluid retention and maintain elasticity and firmness of the skin.